logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOGic crashes when I click on set rig to move to a spot
W8JY
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:42:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
This problem just developed after the last upgrade (I had so many other problems with LOGic prior to that and temporarily moved to DXLab).

My setup is as follows: ICOM 7600 interfaced to Logic via a Micro KEYER II and a quad processor computer running Windows 10. The Micro Keyer shares the C-IV port with an EXPERT 1KFA automatic amplifier using a splitter cable. Both units read the frequency with no problem.

All other portions of LOGic work fine, but when I click the set rig button on the spot log form, LOGic advises that it is shutting down. I hadn't used this feature much in the past few months so it may have been a pre-existing condition. I use N1MM for contesting and have not had similar problems with it. I just check it and it works fine, so it would appear the problem is not with the hardware or the Micro KEYER software. DX Lab also has no problem with this.

Other features in LOGic work fine. I have used LOGic for many years - it is the best logging program available. Any suggestions for curing this problem?

Jess, W8JY
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:55:12 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I use a Elecraft K3 and microham and don't see this when clicking "Set Rig".

Is LOGic reading the frequency from the 7600 ok?
W8JY
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:24:59 PM(UTC)

Man

No problems at all with LOGic reading the rig - it tracks the frequency just fine.

Jess W8JY
wa4pgm
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:35:56 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
ok that is good, have you changed the driver by chance? If not, I know that Icom rigs have several drivers available have you tried a different driver. Another thought is have you updated the firmware in microham recently? I'm just curious if there have been any changes since LOGic worked without issues?
W8JY
#5 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:04:59 AM(UTC)

Man

Hadn't thought about the possibility of Microham causing the problem. I had to change units because my original one died. I will check for software upgrades this afternoon and see if that cures it- I will let you know.

Thanks,

Jess W8JY
W8JY
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 12:12:33 PM(UTC)

Man

Well, I updated the newest version of Microham software, including their newest IC7600 driver. No change - hitting the set rig key in the spot window still causes LOGic to shut down. Double clicking on a spot has the same effect.
The other programs - N1MM and DXLAB still will allow me to move the radio to spots.

Unfortunately for me, LOGic is my program of choice - it does everything better (except for this problem).

Any further ideas?

Jess, W8JY
W8JY
#7 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 1:45:44 PM(UTC)

Man

Discovered that the new update for microham really improved things - now, after starting logic, it crashes immediately. Does anyone have any ideas other that a total re-installation into a new directory?

Jess, W8JY
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 3:04:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi--

A few things to try--

A lot of USB=>RS232 adapters are incompatible with the RS-232 standard and will crash. These tips are all related to that:

*If you have a regular level converter and a RS-232 adapter with an FTDI driver, try that for now.

*Try a legacy rig driver in LOGic.

*Turn CI/V off in the rig setup, and tell LOGic to poll.

*I think the 7600 has a built-in USB interface. Try that.

The event viewer will probably give more info on where things are failing. Run the event viewer, (run/search box in windows, type EVENTVWR) and look under Windows Logs/Application.

Also, if you are using telnet, try turning that off and using DX Summit instead.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W8JY
#9 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 4:33:03 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis, thanks a million. I did the easiest thing first, and using DX Summit cured the problem. Just having a Telnet window open on startup was enough to crash the program.

Now I can go back to operating and using my favorite program. Nothing out there is as comprehensive and easy to use as LOGic.

Jess, W8JY
W8JY
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:27:04 PM(UTC)

Man

I still continued to have problems, but they were a nuisance only - I got error messages that I had to click ignore on, then things would work - only a nuisance.

Yesterday, after a few weeks away from the shack, things changed drastically - now if I try to set the radio to the spot, LOGic crashes. Having a spot log open or not, it always crashes.

I have tried all the legacy drivers in LOGic to use with the IC7600, but they either won't track the VFO or quit working after 20 Polls. I use the micro keyer II ( which works well with N1MM, HRD and DXLab programs.

I need N1MM for contesting, so your TRX interface isn't the best answer for me - if LOGic had a bandmap for contesting, I would use the TRX interface. DXlab and HRD are decent general logging programs, but can't hold a candle to LOGic.

So, I am back to square one - would a total re-installation in another directory cure my problem? I am willing to try anything.
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:44:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Call me and I can log in and take a look. I might see something.

770-307-1496.
W8JY
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:17:06 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis, I would like to thank you again for all of your assistance. Customer support from LOGic is beyond expectations!

I did discover later that I have to run the interface through the CI-V port because the USB connection will not allow me to have my Expert amplifier with it's automatic antenna tuner to track the frequency of the IC-7600.
Since you have stopped LOGic from crashing unless I try to set the rig to a spot freqeuncy (I can now log info from the spot log as long as it doesn't have to change the VFO frequency),so the only inconvenience is having
to manually tune to the spot frequency. I can set the rotor from the spot log, so this is an inconvenience that I can live with. The folks at Expert amps say I have to use the CI-V jack, so if I want to use the amp, I have to
live with the problem.

Since I am expecting the interface to perform multiple simultaneous tasks, I certainly can't fault LOGic for my problem. Your fix has made the program usable again, so I can't complain about having to turn the VFo!

Thanks again for all the help in getting my favorite program running again!

Jess, W8JY
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:46:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Merry Christmas everybody.

Ok, we determined that the problem was with your interface hardware. We switched from your hardware to the USB port built into the Icom rig, and it worked. So have them contact me and I can share my code with them or whatever. (I forgot what unit you had).

Two other options in the meantime: 1. Get a level converter with an FDTI-based USB=>RS232 adapter. It will work. 2. Try OmniRig. http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
WN4AZY
W8JY
#14 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 9:26:57 AM(UTC)

Man

I tried another legacy driver and everything works properly. The only driver that works well without crashes will not set splits, but that really is a plus - rarely do the splits on the spots reflect where he is listening now.
I am absolutely satisfied. Again, Dennis, I am in awe of your customer service and technical support.
The features in LOGic surpass those of any other program, so I really am happy that I can use it again!
Best wishes to you and Fe, and I hope the new year brings you good health and happiness.

73, Jess W8JY