logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Update 83; Multiple logs, and data sets
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 11:52:26 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

After some extended time in "family maintenance", I have restarted my radio activities. The memory is not what it used to be, and restarting has its problems, but patience has its rewards and all - well most things - eventually comes flooding back.

I updated my installation to .83 a little while ago.

After the update, all seems to be working after a little bit of diagnostic effort on the additional data sets. I followed the suggestions here to correct "Wrong Version Callsign Exception file" by delete, reinstall, and copying of the new XML file from the standard data location to the second data folder.

I run the standard log and data it their usual locations, and additional logs and data, each with their own log and data, like this ...

Logic Test Clean: "C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic\logic.exe" CLEAN=Y INSTANCE=Testing DATA='.\testdata;.\testdata\data' REPORT=VK4IUReports
Logic_Test: "C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic\logic.exe" INSTANCE=Testing DATA='.\testdata;.\testdata\data' REPORT=.\VK4IUReports

I have made the log field length changes to all data sets when upgrading for multiple award values for GRID.

In the testing log/data sets, after I run Clean and restart LOGic, I get several error messages "Invalid path or file name" for which I click Ignore and a message box appears "New Log/Bio/Pictures file created" - three errors, three messages in total - after which LOGic proceeds to re-index and present the log as usual. The log has my data as I expect, and everything I have checked is functioning as I expect.

Given all the recent changes around the Prefix table, and the update method - How do I? What is the logic for? ... keeping my "testing" locations up to date when updating LOGic? Is prefixexceptions.xml the only file I need to deal with manually? What are the error messages telling me?

Thanks for your efforts.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:32:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi Peter--

Welcome back!

There haven't been any changes that would affect how multiple databases work. The PrefixExceptions.XML needs to be the one that came with the LOGic.exe in the update. The new update always replaces prefixexceptions.xml, by the way. There is no need to manually delete it if you get a wrong version somehow.

I don't follow exactly where you have everything. I see you have TESTDATA inside the LOGic install folder, and a DATA folder inside that. Do you have the usual PREFIX.DBF etc etc in the DATA folder? I am confused because you apparently have one LOGDATA folder, but multiple data folders. Usually it is the other way around.

Dennis WN4AZY
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:55:09 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, I agree. I used to have a single DATA folder, with multiple logdata folders. Now, I put all the logdata, and data folder sets under the LOGic installation folder. That makes it easy to transfer the lot to my Notebook for when I have to travel looking after the family for days/weeks at a time. The technique has worked OK for me. Do you see any problems with the technique?

The data folder is duplicated inside each logdata folder for test purposes. I often re-copy the complete data folder as necessary - I do that simply to avoid accidents with the data while testing. The technique has "saved my bacon" more than once.
Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:45:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Ok, sorry for the delay on this.

I set mine up like yours, and found the following:

Having testdata as the logdata folder, and testdata\data as the data folder, does indeed work. LOGic finds everything in the correct place as can be verified by looking in tools/advanced/path and file info. Here is the command I used from the command window to run LOGic (prompt included):

C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic>logic DATA='.\testdata;.\testdata\data'

When you do
C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic>logic CLEAN=y DATA='.\testdata;.\testdata\data'
it sort of works. As you might know, CLEAN just deletes the .cdx files and some other temporary junk. The .CDX are deleted from TESTDATA (proper), and DATA (improper), but not TESTDATA\DATA (improper). In other words, it always deletes from the default DATA, but never the relocated DATA.

I got the same FILE NOT FOUND error, and LOG FILE CREATED, same for pictures and BIO, but it does work when it comes up. It turns out there is actually nothing getting created (or overwritten fortunately) -- it is just a nuisance error that is caused by a coding error that causes this when you specify DATA=.

The default location will not work until you do a CLEAN. Then it will work. This is because this is what is needed to trigger the index rebuild to recreate the CDXs in the DATA folder.

I have fixed the code so everything works as you have it. It will be in the next update. Thanks for your help with this.

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
vk4iu on 2/24/2016(UTC)
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:48:53 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... thank you.

Your description, using CLEAN, matches precisely what I do.

Thanks for the code changes. Much appreciated.
Peter VK4IU