logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Issues running Callbooks window and or telnet with spots and alerts windows
K7PDW
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:18:47 PM(UTC)
DAVE

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Have been having problems with logic for the past 3 to 4 revisions whenever I run "callbook to log" and/or telnet especially while using spots and spot alerts windows. I'm currently running LOGic 9.0.81.

My OS is Win7.

There seems to be several problems. After logic runs for a few minute the mouse will not show any of logic's windows or when the mouse will show I cannot select anything. Sometimes I cannot even close logic except by using the Task Manager. Even when it will shutdown using the Logic's exit, it comes right back up with the same problems immediately. However, usually logic will not start and has to run its cleanup process and then index everything again like a first time load. It makes no difference what telnet DX cluster I log into.

I am on a network (hard wired to my router) and logic is the only program I have problems with.

Logic runs fine in its logbook mode and even when connected to my radio (IC-756PROII). But as soon as I try to use the advanced features mentioned above the problems start.

I have no problems with other programs that use online callbooks or telnet DX clusters.

Anybody have any ideas?

Dave, K7PDW
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:16:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Dave:

Do you think it is a COMBINATION of telnet and callbook to log? If you turn off callbook to log, does it work? There were some problems with qrz.com (not the subscription), but it was causing errors to be thrown. It is working at the moment. Nonetheless, we recommend not using QRZ.COM. Get the QRZ subscription, or use the free hamqth.com.

On the other side of the coin, turn off spotting (close the telnet windows) and see if callbook to log screws it up.

I wonder if LOGic is simply getting overwhelmed with too many spots? This can happen, especially if announcement is turned on. Are you running any prefilters on the spot log? Is your computer generally performing well, not sluggish?

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

K7PDW
#3 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 10:50:28 AM(UTC)
DAVE

Man

I'll try turning off QRZ.com. I've had problems with telnet turned off too. I'll turn off QRZ.com as a start point.
I have set the telnet server to "set dx filter spotterstate=[ut,co,wy,id,nv] and not skimmer". This cuts the spots to 10 or less per minute even on a contest day when the traffic is very heavy. I'm not using LOGic's pre-filters at all. I did this thinking that perhaps LOGic was getting overwhelmed. I know I do when telnet sights are left with all filters off.
Thanks for the help.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 7:33:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
10 spots per minute shouldn't be an issue.

Let me know.

DH
K7PDW
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 12:30:19 PM(UTC)
DAVE

Man

I have only LOGic's and the FCC's databases enabled. It seems to work fine when I have the telnet and spots log with alerts turned on until I look up something using the callbook window. Then it hangs for a while then the behavior becomes unpredictable. With the telnet off it takes 15 to 20 seconds for the callbook to respond even with only LOGic's callbook enabled and after LOGic has been run from a computer cold start. I did notice that the first call I looked up came up in about 5 seconds which is not bad but the next call took about 10 seconds (not too bad) but everyone after that took 15 to 20 seconds. Without the telnet running the behavior remained predictable but slow. It seem to me that when the telnet and the callbook are both running there are problems. I have a 10 Meg internet connection that is used only by me so I don't think it is the connection. The internet connection does not give me problems even when I stream video or music.

I appreciate the help. I think we're making progress. As is always the case, it takes some time to find the root cause of the problem when it comes to software.
K7PDW
#6 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 2:43:01 PM(UTC)
DAVE

Man

I downloaded 9.0.82 and have run it 3 to 5 hours at a time twice a day over the past two days without any problems. It loaded and ran the entire time while I made a number of contacts on each occasion. I am running it with LOGic and HamQTH callbooks both active and the telnet, spot log, and spot alerts all active. The fix for the telnet auto login works. I have noticed on a few occasions that it sents my call 5 times rather than once. The telnet server just sent back four "unknown command" messages and keep right on working so that is not a big problem. It only seem to happen if I logged out of the telnet and back in again without exiting LOGic. Thanks for all the maintenance work you do on LOGic.

Thank you for your help getting me on track with the callbooks. Disabling QRZ did solve my problem with locking up when using callbooks. I guess I get what I pay for when I use the free version of QRZ.

Dave, K7PDW