logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logic loses frequency display in transceiver control windows
N5XZ
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:04:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I recently switched from using a RigExpert USB interface to a MicroHam MicroKeyer II. The new interface works flawlessly but ever since I made the change, I find that the frequency display in the transceiver control widows loses "comms" after several minutes and reverts to 00.000000 (I see a similar action in my LOGic Band Map). The MicroHam MicroKeyer II has a window and it continues to show the correct frequency. All I have to do is move the dial slightly or do a "Reset or turn on radio and rotor interfaces" and the frequency shows up again in the window. I know it's not RFI as it will do it even if I do not transmit. Cabling is the same as before, just a different interface box. Any ideas?
73, Allen N5XZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:58:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Yeah, that is strange. It probably isn't losing communications per se. If you turn off the rig LOGic will complain (true for most rigs -- what rig are you using?).

I would contact the manufacturer and see if they have an updated driver -- I gather it isn't using an FTDI USB=>RS232 chip -- correct? Also try another USB port and eliminate any USB hubs from the chain.

What version of Windows are you using?

DH
N5XZ
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:11:43 AM(UTC)

I'll check with MicroHam next. Pretty sure the USB=> RS232 is FTDI, but will also check. No USB hubs. Windows 7 64 bit.

No error message in LOGic...just 00.0000 in display.

I'll post this to the MicroHam forum...the support is pretty good there, too.

73, Allen N5XZ
N5XZ
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 12:09:16 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

I'm working with the microHAM guys to solve the mystery, but I'm curious how the freq. disply can go to 00.00000 without some sort of error showing up on LOGic. Is the microHAM router maintaining comms. with LOGic but reporting 00.0000? I would think that if comms were lost, LOGic would complain. Is LOGic polling microHAM for the frequency data? What would happen if you programmed LOGic to maintain the last valid data, as long as there were active comms?

73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:37:31 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yeah, if a COM port disappears, LOGic definitely complains. You can test this by yanking the plug on a USB interface. LOGic must be receiving a data packet of a valid length with the proper headers etc but with 0 in the frequency data area. I know it sounds far-fetched. What radio do you have? On some radios, there is minimal header and footer data with the packets so if it were sending anything, LOGic would be happy.

Quote:
Is LOGic polling microHAM for the frequency data?

It depends on the radio. What rig do you have. Icoms & Kenwoods, generally no. Yaesu, yes. Actually, LOGIc just talks to the Windows .NET COM port interface. It doesn't know or care about MicroHam per se.

Quote:
What would happen if you programmed LOGic to maintain the last valid data, as long as there were active comms?

If you get zeros, do they zeros go away when you QSY?

Tnx & 73,

DH
N5XZ
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:21:34 PM(UTC)

Radio here is an Elecraft K3. Yes, as soon as I QSY, (or hit RESET Interfaces), the proper frequency is displayed.

microHAM support suggested checking all USB ports to see if the power setting was set to turn off to save power. However, they were NOT set to do so.

So, is it safe to assume that the microHAM stops sending frequency data to LOGic after a time period, but maintains communications?
73, Allen N5XZ
K1VC
#7 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 2:49:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello Allen,

I am looking at the microham microkeyer II and was wondering if the issue you had has resolved.

Thank you,
Vin, 73
K1VC
N5XZ
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:31:04 AM(UTC)

I still use the MicroHAM, but no, that problem never got resolved. Just a lot of finger pointing between Dennis and the microHAM developer. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle at the time. Everything else works fine. I'm still on Win7, so I don't know what issued you may run across with Win10.

73, Allen N5XZ
K1VC
#9 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:40:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Thank you Allen. I'm running Win7 (still). I have too many small boxes (keyer, SignaLink USB, etc) and I want to clean up the clutter. The MicroHam Microkeyer II seems like the only alternative for me.

Thank you again.

Vin, 73
K1VC
N5XZ
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:16:47 AM(UTC)

I think the MicroHAM microkeyer is a fine piece of equipment, and I've been using it for several years now. I do wish the frequency would show up in the frequency/rig control window (not sure what the real term is for it). However, when I log a contact, the frequency/band/mode/etc. information is properly saved in the log.

Maybe Dennis will have another look at it for me when I have more time to pursue it.

73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:45:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

What rig do you have? When using an Icom or Kenwood, LOGic normally depends on the rig to send the updated mode and freq to LOGic. It normally does not poll repeatedly to keep the real-time display updated. However, when you log a QSO or LOGic actually needs the current freq & mode for something, then it polls rather than relying on the last auto-update from the rig. Your interface is losing the auto-update info from the rig, and that's why you see what you see.

However, you can force LOGic to poll by clicking the Poll checkbox in radio setup. Give that a try.

Quote:
Just a lot of finger pointing between Dennis and the microHAM developer.

This sort of thing is why we recommend simple level converters and FTDI USB=>RS232 adapters if necessary. They work. If LOGic works on one piece of hardware but not another, how can it be Logic's fault????

DH
N5XZ
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:29:56 PM(UTC)

I am using an Elecraft K3 and a microHAM micro KEYER II as the interface. It has a built-in FTDI RS232=>USB interface and it uses port drivers. Not sure if that makes a difference, but FYI. BTW, the poll button is greyed out for K3's. It's funny, when I log a QSO, LOGic records the frequency, mode, etc. no problem. The micro KEYER II never fails to show the frequency on its display, as does the P3 panadapter. However, for some reason, the rig control screen will show the frequency only for a while, after which it reverts to 0.000000. All functions work fine on that screen as well.

73, Allen N5XZ
1 user thanked N5XZ for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 10/28/2015(UTC)
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:47:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, not sure why I have the Poll checkbox grayed out. The Elecraft driver is a subclass of the TS-850, which allows you to set it. (The Elecraft has some funniness when setting the freq and mode -- you have to set the freq first apparently. I think you helped me with this.) Hopefully it is an error and I didn't override it for a reason.

Anyway, please download the attached and put it in the LOGic install folder. It will let you use the Poll setting.

Let me know!

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
File Attachment(s):
logic.exe (7,641kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
N5XZ
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:41:11 PM(UTC)

I don't have a LOGic install folder. Do you mean to drop it into the LOGic root folder and overwrite the existing logic.exe?
73, Allen N5XZ
N5XZ
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 11:57:07 PM(UTC)

I took a chance and dropped logic.exe into the logic root folder, so far it seems to be working. Sometimes it takes quite some time, so I will know in the morning if it worked.

Thanks,
73, Allen N5XZ
1 user thanked N5XZ for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 10/30/2015(UTC)
WN4AZY
#16 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 4:32:00 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

You did it right. So long as the changes I made didn't break anything, it will probably work.

Quote:
The micro KEYER II never fails to show the frequency on its display, as does the P3 panadapter.
They probably continuously poll the rig. It seems that handling interrupts (The serial port receiving something it didn't as for) is a problem for most non-FTDI stuff, and why LOGic has problems with incompatible USB=>RS232 and other software doesn't. So we added the option to do either -- best of both worlds.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N5XZ
#17 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 5:35:01 PM(UTC)

Yeah, still seems to be working. Thanks, Dennis.

Just out of curiosity, wondering if you can adjust the poll frequency?
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:52:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Does changing Polling Interval in Seconds do nothing? Set it to 5 seconds and see if there is not a longer delay (up to 5-second) when you QSY.

If you aren't seeing a difference, it is probably because the auto update is still working. You will probably have to wait until things got to the state where the frequency would display as 0.000 before you would see the delay.

DH
N5XZ
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:24:43 PM(UTC)

Dennis, the display now shows the frequency all the time, good job.

The reason I asked about changing the polling rate is that I have had a few more crashes than usual since I turned the polling on, and thought reducing the polling rate might also reduce the frequency of the crashes, but it hasn't happened in a few days, so that's good. Crashes seemed to happen either when changing frequency or clicking on SET RIG or double clicking on a spot in the spot log. It doesn't happen as much as it used to, but still occasionally.
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#20 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 10:36:04 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Does it look like a Windows crash (OLE error), or a LOGic crash?

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY