logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Interfacing with Yaesu FTDX1200
W1DEA
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:13:47 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi, I searched for this with no luck... I just got a Yaesu FTDX1200 with the SCU-17 USB Interface but I cant seem to get it to work with Logic. Has anyone done this yet? I know it doesn't show up in the rig list which has me worried... I thought since the 1200 is based on the 3000 that I might be able to use the configuration for it but the 3000 is not in the list either. Ideas???

Thanks,
Jesse
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:57:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi--

All of the new Yaesus use pretty much the same CAT protocol. Try interface #52, FT2000 etc. If that works, let me know and I'll add it to the menus.

A lot of USB=>RS232 adapters do not work reliably due to driver and hardware compatibility issues. Look in the Windows device manager under Ports, and see who did the driver. If it is FTDI, it will work. Anything else is suspect. If you get crashes or lockups, try interface #15 in LOGic, the legacy non- .net version for that series of radios. It may or may not work.

Let us know!

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W1DEA
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 4:22:17 PM(UTC)

Man

OK, I tried the FT2000 and FT2000 legacy options with no luck. I get the following:

A timeout occurred while attempting to communicate with a rig. Make sure rig is turned on and check cabling and setup parameters.

When I look in the Device Manager it shows as a Silicon Labs Dual CP210x USB to UART Bridge, Standard COM Port (COM5). The port settings are 384000, 8, None, 1, None...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jesse - W1DEA
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:12:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, the port settings in the Windows device manager are of no consequence. Don't waste time there.

The baud rate etc. is controlled by the LOGic setup. Are you sure that the radio is set to 38400 baud? Don't trust the manual. Most rigs allow you to change the baud rate, so go into the rig's menus and check it. (you said 384,000 in your post -- I trust that is a typo hihi). Try 1 & 2 stop bits.

If you're sure the COM port and baud rate are OK, the next thing I would do is try it with OmniRig.
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/
If it works with OmniRig, then we need to take a look at LOGic. I'm pretty sure we have people using the FT1200, but am not positive.

LOGic interfaces to OmniRig, so if you get it working with that, it will work with LOGic also. Ideally it would connect directly to LOGic, but in the meantime....

Let me know what you find!

DH
W1DEA
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:57:03 PM(UTC)

Man

Hi, yes... the baud rate was 38,400 and I did try 1 & 2 stop bits.

I just downloaded OmniRig and I am not quite sure what I am supposed to do with it? It looks like it wants me to type in commands to the rig, I am not sure what commands to type? I tried the FTDX-5000 ini file and when I ran the client it keyed my rig rapidly, that's the first time I have gotten any interaction with my rig. Other than that I don't know if it worked or not because it doesn't really seem to do anything....

Jesse
W1DEA
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:00:57 PM(UTC)

Man

OK, if I set the Rig type to FT-2000 I get Port is not available! This is the same thing I get from Logic, I think we are on to something!
Jesse
W1DEA
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:24:08 PM(UTC)

Man

OK, I downloaded a program from DXLab called Commander, installed it and it talked to my rig right out of the box... It had FTDX-1200 as a rig type when setting it up...
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 8:44:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, You don't need to type any commands into OmniRig. I think what you are referring to is the feature that OmniRig has that allows you to fairly easily set it up to work with any rig.

I see, according to the web site, that OmniRig does not have a setup for the 1200. Choose the FT-2000, FT-9000, FTDX-3000, or FT-DX5000MP. One of them, if not all, should work. Set up the port and baud rate. You should see the frequency in the OmniRig control panel.

Are you using the same port and baud rate in DXLab as LOGic or OmniRig? I think we are looking at some USB driver incompatibilities. There are several ways to open ports in Windows (try the Legacy driver in LOGic, BTW), and some are working and others aren't. The port should open in LOGic or OmniRig or any software, regardless of which radio is selected, btw. It looks like LOGic and OmniRig aren't seeing the port.

An interesting test would be to try DXLab set up for say the FT-2000 and see if it still works with your 1200. That would prove or disprove whether the rigs use the same CAT commands.

Check with Yaesu and see if there are updated drivers.

Dennis
W1DEA
#9 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 8:52:50 AM(UTC)

Man

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I chose all of the rig options you suggested and none of them worked. I am using the same port/baud rate in DXLab/LOGic/OmniRig and the only one that works is DXLab. I also tried the Legacy driver in LOGic with no luck.

I will try the DXLab setup wit FT-2000 and see what happens tonight. As for updated drivers, I got them off the Yaesu site and they were the only version available.

Jesse - W1DEA
W1DEA
#10 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 3:23:38 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

I tried the following and it worked perfectly:

Radio: FT-9000, FT-5000, FT-2000, FT-950
Baud: 38400
Port: COM6
Stop bits: 2
DTR: Off
RTS: On

It appears that the secret is having RTS enabled, DTS seems to not make a difference...

Oh, I am only able to change the settings a couple of times and then I get a "MS Visual FoxPro has stopped working" and Logic crashes. This is very consistent and reproducible, not something one would normally run into unless they are trying to get things to work like I was.

Thank you for all of your help...
Jesse - W1DEA