logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

guess I just don't get it????
KD0PO
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:00:06 PM(UTC)
dokxray

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I looked at the prefix table and the area where I thought I could modify it but didn't get anywhere....

It seems that every "A" call is being assigned to "USA" even though A4, A7, A9 etc has been out there for years.

Also Zaire, is now Dem Republic of Congo and I'd like to change all that.

can you give me "step by step" instructions for that????

where to start???

thanks....
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:48:41 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

An calls work as one should expect. Double check - Run Clean, Restart LOGic, go to the Info window and enter A6 in the Prefix field. A6 should be United Arab Emirates. If not, you need to fix the Prefix Table - it is damaged in some way.

It is easy to damage the Prefix Table. Rather than try to undo the damage, apply the last LOGic update again and tick the box to replace the Prefix Table.

To make changes to the Prefix Table, make a user entry - avoid changing the system entries.

While operating, if you find something you need in the Prefix table, do two things ....

1. Post a topic here to have the system entries updated.
2. Make a USER ENTRY for you to use until the next LOGic system update.

After the next system update, remove your user entry.

If you need further assistance, post the specifics about what prefix you need to change in the Prefix Table and why?

A backup of the Prefix Table is good to have - before you change it. The Prefix table is not part of the "LOGic backup", you need to make a simple copy of the table in the DATA folder. To restore, exit LOGic, copy the Prefix table back to the data folder, run Clean, then restart LOGic.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
KD0PO
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:05:46 PM(UTC)
dokxray

ok, ahhh what???

when I enter a new log entry for a92ge it shows "K" as in USA in the DXCC window in the main log window. I have to click it and change it to A9.

when I click A92GE on the spot log, it shows "K" USA in the "progress for DXCC window and on the spot log thus, if I click the rotor button, instead of pointing my beam to A92, it points it to K9 as in midwest usa...."

same for A35, and every other "A" call.

This is a big problem for me.

now what did you want me to do????

non of what you said makes any sense to me, you have to be more BASIC than that.

thanks
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:47:47 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... you have probably, somehow, corrupted the Prefix Table.

When you installed LOGic, a CLEAN icon was placed on the Start Menu. Exit LOGic, and use this CLEAN icon, to clean-up all the indexes of all the databases that are part of LOGic.

Then re-start LOGic, and re-test your A92GE, Bahrain. You can use the Info form, or simply start a new log entry.

If the DXCC is NOT Bahrain - you have a corrupt Prefix Table.

You can replace the Prefix table by applying/re-applying the latest LOGic 9 update which you can download here on the forum.

Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#5 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 9:30:08 AM(UTC)
dokxray

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
... you have probably, somehow, corrupted the Prefix Table.

When you installed LOGic, a CLEAN icon was placed on the Start Menu. Exit LOGic, and use this CLEAN icon, to clean-up all the indexes of all the databases that are part of LOGic.

Then re-start LOGic, and re-test your A92GE, Bahrain. You can use the Info form, or simply start a new log entry.

If the DXCC is NOT Bahrain - you have a corrupt Prefix Table.

You can replace the Prefix table by applying/re-applying the latest LOGic 9 update which you can download here on the forum.

OK, I've used the "clean" several times and it does not fix the problem.

I found the latest update to logic and checked the "update prefix table" option.

Now I have a horrible mess!!!! I get error after error with the end result of logic crashing. It became completely unusable.

are a few.

I tried to go back to a restore point prior to the up-date install. no luck, same errors.

I un-installed logic completely, did a clean-up of the drive, rebooted and delteted the logic folder. Then did another clean drive and rebooted again. I then did a fresh install of ver .71 (full install). now I get the same errors...

so I went from the skillet to the fire. Before I had to manually enter a few DXCC values for the "A" calls, now I can't use logic at all....

I'm open to any and all suggestions...

the only good news is, yes, I have several safe back-ups of my data....
KD0PO
#6 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 2:27:01 PM(UTC)
dokxray

a few others

computer is a dell laptop with intel centrino and 4 gigs of ram, a 500 gig hard drive. There is a edgeport 8 attached via USB which then has my rotor, tnc, amp and radio attached via serial ports 1-4. The radio cable is a "y" cable with a SteppIr also attached. The radio is a kenwood ts-950sdx on port 1 (no ic-232, I use a cable I bought from Dennis). The rotor is an orion controled with a blue herron box on port 4. All of this had been stable and working prior to the update.

The version of logic prior to the update was xxx.65, current loaded version is xxx.71

of interest is the prefix table does indeed now work.....

any other info that can help you help me, just ask...

Ray...
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:40:29 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... reboot, run Clean, test again.

If the problems with LOGic still occur, you have problems with your PC in general rather than LOGic. LOGic is simply trying to access tools that Windows cannot find because they are not registered with Windows correctly.

The errors are an indication some of the installations are not occurring correctly - OLE/COM modules not registered with Windows.

System these days often require that you run installations "As Administrator".

It is recommended that you always run LOGic "As Administrator".

Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 2:10:18 PM(UTC)
dokxray

... reboot, run Clean, test again.

If the problems with LOGic still occur, you have problems with your PC in general rather than LOGic. LOGic is simply trying to access tools that Windows cannot find because they are not registered with Windows correctly.

The errors are an indication some of the installations are not occurring correctly - OLE/COM modules not registered with Windows.

System these days often require that you run installations "As Administrator".

It is recommended that you always run LOGic "As Administrator".

funny I didn't have any of those problems prior to installing the update.

So, I took the easy way out and just re-imaged a back-up.

I'm back to the old version of logic with the bad prefix table, but at least I'm back on the air.

I get NO errors with this old version of logic.

I am the only user of this PC and as such am the administrator. Therefore everything is loaded and run as administrator.

Now back to my original question, how can I JUST fix the prefix table without getting right back into the error train?????
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:46:29 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... the errors are a "red herring" - something completely different.

You should be able to apply the update without the errors. I have done so more times than I can count - apply updates backwards in version, and again forwards in versions.

You went from .65 to .71. I always apply them in order, never skipping numbers.

The only other place you can get a clean updated Prefix Table is from a "full copy" backup that you have made.

You can try installing LOGic a second time in a separate directory - a development copy - apply the latest update to that copy of LOGic and copy the Prefix table from there. Again, I have done this on my PC, several copies in fact, of ver 8 and ver 9.

Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:55:23 PM(UTC)
dokxray

... the errors are a "red herring" - something completely different.

You should be able to apply the update without the errors. I have done so more times than I can count - apply updates backwards in version, and again forwards in versions.

You went from .65 to .71. I always apply them in order, never skipping numbers.

The only other place you can get a clean updated Prefix Table is from a "full copy" backup that you have made.

You can try installing LOGic a second time in a separate directory - a development copy - apply the latest update to that copy of LOGic and copy the Prefix table from there. Again, I have done this on my PC, several copies in fact, of ver 8 and ver 9.

I've been running this backwards load for a full day with many entries and interactions between logic, my radio, my rotor and my steppIr controller without a hiccup. I had run this setup for many many months prior to asking my question about the prefix problem. I would think that if there were an inherent problem with the PC, my interfaces or any other variable, it would have made it's self known.

I have logic loaded on a windows 8.1 machine (the one that won't upload to LoTW) and copied the prefix table from it to this laptop and my problem seems to be solved.

vk4iu
#11 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 6:28:41 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

Good job you fixed the Prefix Table.

Yes ... it is hard to come to grips with problems like this.

My guess is that LOGic creates the circumstance and is simply the catalyst that makes the issue manifest. There is nothing wrong with LOGic - or else many others would be having a similar issue.

Good luck with finding a solution. I hope you answered YES to sending the material to Microsoft - it often results in a response you can use to solve your problem.

Peter VK4IU