logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Create ADIF File for DXCC Submission
N5VR
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:12:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have searched around and not found an answer though I am sure this is a common problem. I want to submit some paper cards for DXCC credit using an ADIF file as is allowed by ARRL. I can get report writer to nicely list them so "I can pull the appropriate cards" as the help file says. I even figured out how to remove confirmations with LOTW = F which I have already submitted. BUT I don't want to only read the list and pull the cards I want the corresponding ADIF file so I can upload it. I am sure this is easy - somehow.

All and any help appreciated.

Bill
N5VR
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:59:28 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Bill,

It is just like your report, only manual.

I do not see a tool for the purpose in Tools, Miscellaneous Tools.

Use Tools, Export, and use the same filter as you did for your report. You can repeat the process as many times as you want until you get it correct. Use Notepad to check the contents of the file Logic creates for you.

But first ...

The ARRL will indicate which QSO fields to include in your export. You need to make sure you have EXPORT ticked on the ADIF panel for each field in Tools, Setup, Log Fields.

Unfortunately, there is no simply way to check/uncheck the Export flag for fields for ADIF Export. You need to do it one field at a time - and check all defined fields.

If you regularly use the ADIF Export facility to export to any other analysis tools, you need to manually reset the export flag for the fields, when you have finished your ARRL ADIF export.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
N5VR on 11/26/2013(UTC)
N5VR
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:41:49 PM(UTC)

Peter,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. With regard to the filter I can almost create such a filter save for the fact that I get dupes (same band/mode/DXCC) and I don't want to submit those. Somehow the AWARDS report I mentioned in the original post gives you only one record for each confirmed DXCC entity. I expect doing this requires more expertise in filtering (the Query language) than I have. It may require logic as well as filtering to eliminate duplication of confirmed entities.

I hadn't thought of your point about which Log fields are exported but this part doesn't look too difficult as you can change the setting in each row of the browse form rather than select the tick for each field (I think,anyway). It would be nice to be able to have multiple versions available. This is maybe only a matter of keeping multiple copies of whatever file holds this information? Don't happen to know the name of that file do you? Or perhaps its not that simple.

73s
Bill N5VR

vk4iu
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:00:43 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... your clicking on it.

There is no additional file - just the database that the "log field" form/browse window is looking at. You are changing it in "real time".

My only thoughts were for a "misc utility". One could need to write such a thing, but one would need one to set the "export flags" for each set of fields one wanted to export.

The exported file is simply a text file. One could delete the QSOs not needed. A little tedious if there are too many.

Sorry I do not know of a way to duplicate the filtering of the Award report.

If you tell me the report name and the "parameters" to it, I will see what might be gleaned from the report itself.

Peter VK4IU

Peter VK4IU
N5VR
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:11:39 PM(UTC)

Peter,

Actually it turns out to be a non-problem. The ADIF created by export works fine with the ARRL upload. As a bonus it ignores fields it doesn't need and eliminates dupes! So it works great - I just tried it.

Thanks again!
Bill N5VR
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:56:01 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

That's good to know.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:01:02 PM(UTC)
dokxray

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: N5VR Go to Quoted Post
Peter,

Actually it turns out to be a non-problem. The ADIF created by export works fine with the ARRL upload. As a bonus it ignores fields it doesn't need and eliminates dupes! So it works great - I just tried it.

Thanks again!
Bill N5VR

Bill,

I need to do the exact same thing. Can you give a step by step as to what report you used and how you did it?

Thanks

Ray KD0PO
vk4iu
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:59:11 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

You simply need to use the Tools, Export Log Data, and filter for the QSO data you wish to send to the ARRL.

The QSO fields exported to ADIF are defined in Tools, Setup, Log Fields - on the ADIF panel. Have a look to see that you understand what is happening, but if have changed nothing in this area, the default values will probably be OK.

The filtering on a logform is exactly the same - experiment a little to find a filter that works for your needs. Picking cards like this can be a bit tricky.

Or, you can export as many times as you like, modifying the filter as many times as you need.

Keep in mind that you can delete lines from the ADIF TXT file, before sending it to the ARRL.

Your needs will be unique and require a unique filters.

Maybe several filters gets what you need, and you can then Export and combine the files with a text editor.

Maybe just export the entire log, and delete what you don't need.

Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:02:27 PM(UTC)
dokxray

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day,

You simply need to use the Tools, Export Log Data, and filter for the QSO data you wish to send to the ARRL.

The QSO fields exported to ADIF are defined in Tools, Setup, Log Fields - on the ADIF panel. Have a look to see that you understand what is happening, but if have changed nothing in this area, the default values will probably be OK.

The filtering on a logform is exactly the same - experiment a little to find a filter that works for your needs. Picking cards like this can be a bit tricky.

Or, you can export as many times as you like, modifying the filter as many times as you need.

Keep in mind that you can delete lines from the ADIF TXT file, before sending it to the ARRL.

Your needs will be unique and require a unique filters.

Maybe several filters gets what you need, and you can then Export and combine the files with a text editor.

Maybe just export the entire log, and delete what you don't need.

the entire log is over 10K Q's, and I've never submitted cards to be checked in my 40+ years as a ham. I always figured I'd get around to it. haha, I guess I'm ready to get around to it.

you can only have one up-load file application for DXCC open at a time between getting cards verified.

I'll have to give it a try and see what happens....

vk4iu
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:44:35 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

Check the Help - Tracking Cards Submitted.

With a code of your choosing the Comment field, you can go through the QSOs for which you have a card you wish to submit, marking each QSO. When you are ready, Export the data for the QSOs that are marked with your code in the comment field.

The Award Reports in Logic have features for this purpose as well. When you print a report, LOGic will make card selections for you. When you think you are happy with the selection you can print a report and check with the cards. Then export the ADIF.

Peter VK4IU
KD0PO
#11 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 10:47:25 AM(UTC)
dokxray

I decided to just take my medicine in one gulp.

I just used export adif and filtered for "lotw<>F" and "qsl-recv=F" and ran that for the entire log. The resultant txt file was way too large to edit so I just uploaded it as is. Fortunately as was stated by N5VR above, ARRL/DXCC looks at it, removes dupes, matches every contact for every various DXCC award and then tells you if there are any areas needing attention such as freq/band mismatch, call/DXCC mismatch etc and highlights them. It then allows you to edit those entrys and review the upload. I had less than ten Q's needing editing. I would NEVER have found them using notepad looking at the original doc. Anyway I wound up with 1,523 Unique entrys to fit the various catagories such as "PY, 10mtr, CW, challange," etc. 41 pages worth....

I called my closest card checker and told him what I had and after a short "silence" he said, "no problem, but I'll need them for a week to work through it".

We both laughed and I said I'd separate the cards on a "per page" basis so he would have easy start and stop points. He liked that.

So now I've been going through 15 shoe boxes of cards and should have them to him in a week.

Nice guy, I'll probably take him and his XYL to dinner to say "thanks"!

Anyway, thanks for the help.....

Now if we could just get ALL the DX to use LoTW in the future,,,,,,,,,

Ray