logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Winkeyer and Remote Rig virtual serial ports with logging programs
N5CQ
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 5:30:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am slowly getting my K3/0 to K3 remote rig setup working with my LOGic9 logging software, after solving some big antenna and rotor problems first.

My current challenge is getting the WinKey function in the RRC1258 and LOGIC to talk talk to each other.

When I hook up the USB port on the front of the RRC unit to the logging PC (Windows 8.1) , I see four virtual comm ports: "RRC1258 COM0 (COM3)" ; "RRC1258 COM1 (COM5)" ; "RRC1258 COM2 (COM6)" ; and "RRCCOMExtra (COM4)" in addition to the regular RS-232 serial port COM1 that I use for CAT control.

When I go into Winkey setup screen in LOGic, I see the 'normal' COM1, plus COM 3,4, 5 and 6. Trying COM1 as the WinKey port produces a "COM Port Error" message. Trying COM3, 4, 5 and 6 produces the message "WinKey not FOUND (no echo)". However, when I go from trying COM4 to trying COM5 the rig keys for approximately one second!

I have tried using device manager to set the virtual comm ports to 1200N2, as the "Com Port Usage" screen suggests, but it seems to make no difference.

What should I try next?

73 John N5CQ

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:23:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi John:

Sorry, I am not familiar with Remote Rig etc.

Is the Winker a regular old Winkeyer, or part of some other device? I gather some other device, and you don't know which COM port it is assigned to.

The "WinKey not FOUND (no echo)" error would happen if there is a baud rate mismatch. The baud rate in the Winkeyer that he sent me was fixed (1200 baud as I recall), so LOGic is hard-coded to this. If the newer ones are no longer set to 1200 or whatever the old ones were, that would explain it. Note that the baud rate settings in the device manager make no difference so far as LOGic is concerned, and probably all other software as well.

Here is how I would proceed: Use the Winkey program or the remote rig program or whatever is provided with the device, and get that working. At that point you will know which COM port it is on at least. And at that point we might know whether to point fingers at LOGic or not. Research and see if baud rate could be an issue. When I get back in the office I will check and see what baud rate LOGic is hard-coded to. Pretty sure it's 1200 tho.

Tnx/73,

Dennis WN4AZY