logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kenwood TS-990
EI6FM
#1 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 5:41:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi All
I have recently changed my rig from a Kenwood TS-870 to a Kenwood TS-990, while logging QSO's on the Oceania contest at the weekend I noticed that the log wasn't updating the freq and band for some of the QSO's. I couldn't establish what was causing this problem, however I note that the TS-990 isn't listed in the Rig settings for the Radio interface. Which is the correct interface which should be used with the TS-990?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best 73's
Dermot EI6FM
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 8:18:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi Dermot--

Sri for the problem.

I am not sure which interface is correct -- probably #54 for the 850 etc. If the split command works you have the right one. If not try #53. Either one should log mode & freq however.

I don't know what is wrong. Do you see any intermittency in the operation of the interface? Does the radio display work consistently? Do you get timeout errors? Keep an eye on the freq and mode fields as you log and see if they ever fail to get updated properly.

What sort of interface hardware are you using? Incompatible USB adapters are the usual culprit, but I assume the same hardware setup worked with the 870. You'd think that it would work with the 990 too.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
EI6FM
#3 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 11:58:58 AM(UTC)

Man

Thanks Dennis for the quick reply. I am using the 54 interface, it seems fine now. I think I had polling switched on when I was having the problems (can't be certain). The adapter is one I bought in Maplin (similar to Radio Shack in the US). Its a cheap and chirpy one. However it seemed to work with the 870 fine. However I never tried to run the contest log while using the 870.
Kenwood that you run the max baud rate on the interface, and as a result I had set the baud rate to 115200. was running much slower on the 870. I'll keep an eye on it and report anything unusual. Thanks again, and it might be worth amending the description on the interface to include the TS-990?
Best 73's
Dermot EI6FM
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:29:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Thanks--I have updated LOGic to add the 990 to the description for that interface.

Dennis
EI6FM
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:51:34 AM(UTC)

Man

Hi Dennis
I have been monitoring the performance of the interface to the 990 and I have noticed the following:
The freq readout on the Logic toolbar does not follow the readout on the rig. However when I press TAB after I have entered the callsign of the station I'm working the toolbar freq updates.
I have also lost control of the rig on a few occasions, resetting the interface resolves this. Once I have re-established the link I have full control from the toolbar, including the split control.
Should the Poll box be ticked or not?
Thanks again for the help.
73's Dermot EI6FM
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:10:56 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Normally, Kenwoods do not need to be polled. LOGic uses the Auto Information mode to cause the rig to automatically send the current mode and freq to logic. However, LOGic always polls when the freq is actually needed for something. That why it logs when you hit {Tab}.

So it looks like Auto Information is not working for some reason. So try turning on polling. Possibly the 990 does not support the AI command.

As for the interface timeout, does it happen only while transmitting (thinking RF)? Are you using a USB=>RS232 adapter with a non-FTDI driver?

Tnx,

WN4AZY
EI6FM
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:26:29 AM(UTC)

Man

Hi Dennis
I have done some research and discovered that the Auto Information is defaulted OFF on the 990, I am presently trying to discover how to turn this on (work in Progress). Regarding the interface, I am using a USB=>dual RS232 adapter. I'm not sure if the adapter has a non-FTDI driver?
Also, I'm not sure when the timeout occurs, but I don't think its RF related....??

Please see link to the device which I am using below.

http://ie.rs-online.com/...rface-adapters/7947117/

Best 73's
Dermot EI6FM
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:02:51 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yeah, AI defaults to off with all of the rigs, but LOGic sends AI; to turn it on. I guess there could be some setting in the setup that controls this, however.

Just look in the device manager to see if your device uses FTDI drivers. Probably not, I understand the wholesale cost of the chip is $12 or so.

Dennis WN4AZY
K4MV
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:52:03 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm having the same problem with the TS-990S Auto Information defaulted to "off". Has anyone been able to figure out a way to turn AI "on"? The TS-990S PC Control Command Reference document indicates that this should be possible but doesn't say how. http://www.kenwood.com/i...ts_990_pc_command_e.pdf
K4MV
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:14:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
While I couldn't figure out how to turn AI "on" from within the rig, activating "polling" in the Logic 9 rig setup seems to have done the trick. I can now see changes made on the rig in Logic.
EI6FM
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 5:10:49 AM(UTC)

Man

Originally Posted by: N5AHS Go to Quoted Post
While I couldn't figure out how to turn AI "on" from within the rig, activating "polling" in the Logic 9 rig setup seems to have done the trick. I can now see changes made on the rig in Logic.

This was also the only solution that I could find. It works fine for me also.