logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Won't work with MasterKeyer MK-1
N6IE
#1 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 10:11:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm trying to set up Logic9 v. 9.0.70 work using the WinKey interface with my HamGadgets MasterKeyer MK-1, and not having much luck. The MasterKeyer is on FW v. 1.31 and I using Windows 7. When I select the MK-1 port, the dialog box in Logic sees the keyer and displays the massage "WinKey version 22 ready (COM8)", but the entire program freezes. If I shut off the power to the MK-1, I get a Program Error "OLEIDispatch exception code 0 from System: A device attached to the system is not functioning". "Ignore" does nothing and "Cancel" crashes the program.

The MK-1 works perfectly with N1MM and Win-Test on the same computer. How should I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Ron N6IE
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:47:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Ron:

Thanks for your post. Sorry about the trouble.

Does this device have a built-in USB=>RS-232 adapter? Try getting the latest drivers for it.

I'll look at our code and see if LOGic is waiting for something to happen.

We had one situation where a WinKey clone would not work with LOGic. The manufacturer admitted it was their error, that they would fix it, and I haven't heard anymore about it. So I assumed it got fixed. And I assume yours is genuine since it says "WINKEY READY". But thought I would mention it in case not.

I'll do some testing and get back to you.

Tnx & 73,

DH WN4AZY
N6IE
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 10:24:20 PM(UTC)

There is no USB to/from RS232 conversion anywhere that I'm aware of in the MK-1 although I don't have the schematic. Logic is probably waiting for something since everything is locked until I kill the power on the MK-1. Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.hamgadgets.co...terKeyer_MK-1_V1_30.pdf

Page 49 discusses the Winkey interface. I'm assuming that Logic invokes a USB driver when using Winkey? The manual mentions that FDTI drivers should be used. Maybe that indicates that there is a USB to RS232 conversion internal to the MK-1.

The computer I running has Windows 7 and I do have FTDI drivers available.

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ron:

Thanks for your post. Sorry about the trouble.

Does this device have a built-in USB=>RS-232 adapter? Try getting the latest drivers for it.

I'll look at our code and see if LOGic is waiting for something to happen.

We had one situation where a WinKey clone would not work with LOGic. The manufacturer admitted it was their error, that they would fix it, and I haven't heard anymore about it. So I assumed it got fixed. And I assume yours is genuine since it says "WINKEY READY". But thought I would mention it in case not.

I'll do some testing and get back to you.

Tnx & 73,

DH WN4AZY

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:43:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Well, if the MK1 plugs into a USB socket, then there is a USB=>RS232 adapter internal to it.

Quote:
I'm assuming that Logic invokes a USB driver when using Winkey?

Nope. LOGic looks at Com ports using the same Windows interface that it uses to talk to any Com port. If the Com port is in fact a USB=>RS232 adapter, Windows and the driver handle it. LOGic is never the wiser. That is why it is so important that the driver be 100% compatible. And FTDI is. That's what we sell on all of our USB=>RS232 stuff.

You can check to see what driver it is using. Go to the device manager, and look at COM8. Look in the DRIVER tab.

Now, if it ISN'T using the FTDI driver, I don't know how to go about making it use it. Normally, you plug in an FTDI device, Windows goes out to the internet if necessary to find the driver, and installs it automatically.

I looked at the code. The WINKEY VERSION whatever ready (COM n) is coming from LOGic. So we don't know if it is using a genuine winkey board or not.

I am not seeing a place where LOGic is waiting indefinitely to receive something. Everything seems to have a half-second timeout. At this point suspect a driver problem. They usually cause windows errors however, so I will look further and test on my winkey just to make sure something didn't get screwed up here.

Tnx/73,

Dennis
N6IE
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:55:53 PM(UTC)

Yes, COM8 is using the FTDI driver, and I would assume it's the right one or the MK-1 wouldn't work on N1MM and Win-Test. Most likely it's problem with the MK-1's adaptation of the K1EL code. I did note that when I was testing N1MM LoggerPlus recently, the MK1 would not complete some of the macros sent to it. I think HamGadets is working on new code as well as a new main board for the MK-1, but the work has not been completed.

I'll send an email to HamGadgests and see if they can download the LOGic demo and try to connect.

Ron
N6IE
IK0CHU
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:35:56 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 79 post(s)

Hello Ron,
let me know if you can solve the problem.
Also I have the Masterkeyer MK-1, last firmware release, I contacted Dale via email explaining the problem with Logic9 and PRAYING TO CONTACT DENNIS THAT WAS AVAILABLE IN COMPARISON.
In fact, Dennis contacted me, an year ago, saying:
"Dale called me today. He will download LOGic and test it.
Tnx & 73,
Dennis WN4AZY"

Nothing happened! My MK-1 continues to have problems interfacing with Logic9 while it works perfectly with WriteLog, N1MM, WinTest and QARTest.

73's de IKØCHU Mauro

IKØCHU Mauro
N6IE
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:40:10 PM(UTC)

I have not heard back from HamGadgets about the problem. I decided to use direct keying out of the serial port of the computer, through a transistor, and that works with both LOGic9 and N1MM Logger+.

I believe the problem is with the Winkeyer code used in the MasterKeyer which is similar, but not identical to the original K1EL code.

Ron
N6IE

Originally Posted by: IK0CHU Go to Quoted Post

Hello Ron,
let me know if you can solve the problem.
Also I have the Masterkeyer MK-1, last firmware release, I contacted Dale via email explaining the problem with Logic9 and PRAYING TO CONTACT DENNIS THAT WAS AVAILABLE IN COMPARISON.
In fact, Dennis contacted me, an year ago, saying:
"Dale called me today. He will download LOGic and test it.
Tnx & 73,
Dennis WN4AZY"

Nothing happened! My MK-1 continues to have problems interfacing with Logic9 while it works perfectly with WriteLog, N1MM, WinTest and QARTest.

73's de IKØCHU Mauro