logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Info Form Lost
N5VR
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:44:09 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Running the latest version of Logic (installed today) and Vista I cannot make the info form appear. I am using two monitors and I have problems every time I reboot with windows (that is to say forms not tied to the main Logic window so I can move them to the second monitor) disappearing. After a reboot of windows usually due to a MS update I restart Logic and some of the second monitor windows are gone. So far I have always been able to get them back by reducing the resolution on the second monitor which for some reason usually makes at least part of the missing form/window visible. I then move them all to the center, restore the resolution and life goes on. Until today. The latest Windows update is what triggered this current mess.

I have tried everything I can think of. The info window shows up in cascade but if you select it it does not appear. I tried going back to one monitor but that does not help at all. I tried fooling with the resolution and I was able to recover some all windows except the info window. I installed the latest update - no difference.

It is also a real pain to go through the whole dance I mentioned above every time I have to reboot. The two issues are probably related.

There must be a way to recover the lost window. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Bill N5VR
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:31:26 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I have been there done this.

Are the resolutions of the two monitors the same?

In Windows, where is the second monitor position relative to the first?

In Windows, which monitor is "primary"?

Do the windows have an icon on the TASK BAR?

Can you tell which window icon is which LOGic window?

To reposition a window, select the window, by clicking the icon on the task bar, and press ALT-SPACE then M (for move) ,press the arrow keys a few times, and then simply move the mouse. Practice on a window you can see. It all woprks even though you cannot see the window.

When you can see how to move the windows, make sure the windows monitor positions do not change across a reboot. Then move all the windows to the primary monitor, then reboot.

When that is stable, move ONE window to the second monitor and reboot.

If that all works, move the others.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
N5VR
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:12:13 PM(UTC)

You are a genius. Using your technique I was able to recover the lost window after a couple attempts. Thank you!

Now, I am not following the the purpose of the last part of your post. Not sure what all the reboots, etc do. Maybe you could say something more about that. However, you did hit a point I had noticed. The screen resolutions are the same and the extended desktop monitor is physically on the left of the primary monitor. I have adjusted the relative positions in Windows to make this work right. Each time I reboot I have noticed that Windows moves the extended monitor back to the right (in my case, wrong) side. Is this what is causing the issue? I have just been manually moving it back while saying a few choice words about MS.

Thanks again.
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:33:34 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

Thanks for the compliment. We old hands remember the days when we were caught with NO mouse and learnt to run windows without it.

The reboots are about getting windows to keep the display in the same place. If the monitor positions keep moving there is a reason.

What is the actual monitor hardware configuration?

Windows positions are stored independently of the monitor displays, as simple x,y and width and height, based on the total size of all the monitors. But, that said, there are many programs that do not play well with multiple monitors.

My config is a MAXTOR "triple head" controller, plugged in the external output of a Dell Vostro Laptop. The Laptop display is also active as a "second" display. "second", because the "triple head" presents to Windows as a single 3840x1024 display even though it is made from three 1280x1024 physical monitors.

The windows get lost when the monitor positions change in Windows and the window x,y locations don't.

So you are going to be losing windows all the time until you can pursuade Windows to stop moving the monitor displays about.

You may also have additional software - Nvidia Control Panel for eample - that is also playing with the monitor positions.

Until you get the monitor locations stable, you will be "chasing your own tail".
Peter VK4IU
N5VR
#5 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 7:33:48 AM(UTC)

Excellent - that's what I was looking for. Apparently you have been here before as you said.

My set up is as simple as can be - one laptop screen and one monitor from the garage - different aspect ratios which explains something I have observed on the garage monitor (bands on top and bottom).

Anyway it all works pretty well until Windows decides, for no known reason, that the monitors should be put back. Logic really needs more screen space than a single monitor for a DX chaser. It does work very well for my needs in general.

I'll play around as you suggest and about the time I figure out will buy a new laptop.
vk4iu
#6 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 4:17:05 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

I am sitting here in the first light of a new day, listening to 20 meters, cooking breakfast, and waiting for the family to "stir". The sun is streaming into my radio shack beside the kitchen. It is just great to be alive.

I cranked up my other laptop I use when traveling - it is running Vista, and did a quick search for "vista monitor position changes". Yep it all fits.

Wow - never knew that. It seems, this is a common problem for a lot of people.

I found ...

If you are running the Laptop as a "dekstop PC" - as I do, and the laptop has the same configuration all the time, you can disable the TMM task in Task Scheduler - the "multiple monitor manager". See this about half way down.

This manager runs every time you reboot checking for changes to the monitor config that will occur on a Laptop as you move from place to place. That is, updates the monitor config, when you unlpug the external monitor.

If you disable this TMM task, remember that if you unplug the external monitor windows are guaranteed to disappear into the black, and the PC will be very hard to operate. Just plug the monitor back in.

You should do a few move searches to confirm the above is the best solution.

Of course the other solution is to leave th monitors as Windows wants to display them, and rearrange your physical desk.

Good luck with that. Our house guests are just waking, time to serve breakfast.

Peter VK4IU