logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CWops and Logic8
NP3K
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:20:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

Is there any way to incorporated the CWops membership list in Logic 8 ?

What about the FISTS list, it will not download?

Thanks,

Charlie NP3K

I've been trying to post this Msg and it comes up with error, sorry if it created multiples.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:37:16 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

FISTS works OK in LOGic9. The Logic9 URL is http://www.fists.org/pdfdocs/allfists_comma.txt but did not function correctly in LOGic 8. Clearly FISTS changed the format.

Do you have a URL for the CWOPS list?

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:25:13 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

While waiting for the family to wakeup and for breakfast to cook, I did a quick Google search and found http://www.cwops.org/roster.html.

Later, I looked at the structure of the MEMBERSHIPS table with Tools, Advanced, Database commands like this
use MEMBERSHIPS
modify structure
and noted the order of the fields that count as ...
call, field_name, value, name
I then used the usual Windows select, copy and paste, and copied the relevant text from the web page into an Excel spreadsheet, and after a few minutes with Excel I created a list of the required data in columns in the same order as the fields of the table. I saved the sheet as a CSV file, and imported it into LOGic 8 with Tools, Advanced, Database Commands by using ...
use MEMBERSHIPS
append from C:\Users\peter\Documents\Logic9-Data\cwop.csv delimited with ","
The resulting list is attached and can be used in LOGic8 or LOGic9. You can import it from the Tools,Setup,Memberships Lists dialogue using Import List.

The above can be used as a general scheme of how to import ANY membership list. Just assemble the data in a CSV text file in the same field order, separated by commas. The records can be in any order, LOGic will do all the sorting and indexing.

The current FISTS# list from LOGic9 is also included. It worked for me in LOGic8.
File Attachment(s):
CWOP.DBF (194kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
FISTS#.DBF (1,337kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Peter VK4IU
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
NP3K on 5/12/2014(UTC)
NP3K
#4 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 4:49:16 PM(UTC)

Peter,

Thank you so much for your prompt response and help. I was able to import both files and it worked. I also edited the url for fists in the Logic8 Tools, Internet, Import FISTS and looks like it worked.

One more question; is the a way for the CWops list to show under Tools, Internet, Import?

Thank you,
Charlie NP3K
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 5:33:48 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

Putting CWOPS membership in Tools,Internet would require programming changes to LOGic itself. Only Dennis can do that. And I am sure he is not too keen on adding yet another maintenance task into LOGic 9, let alone LOGic 8.

The real problem lies not with LOGic, but with the various organisations. There is no standard "file type", there is no "standard" format for the data, there is no standard "membership secretary" - despite the IT industry creating such tools long ago. XML data comes to mind, as in QRZ Subscriptions, Clublog, LOTW, eQSL etc etc.

To incorporate any given membership list into Tools,Internet Dennis needs to write a separate, specific program for each one. The larger organisations are fairly stable. But the smaller groups ... seem to change with the next volunteer for "membership secretary".

CWOPS has been around for a long time, and would most likely be fairly stable. But ... I am still waiting for the list of LOGic Forum members to be incorporated. Given that the Forum list is "in house", one would expect that to be fairly easy.

Time is the problem. I too want more of it. We need a lot more of us to stay awake longer, modify the gene pool, breed more, need less sleep, so we can do more amateur radio. Alas, I wont live long enough to benefit.

On second thoughts, we need more amateur radio LOGic forum members to volunteer as membership secretaries for more amateur radio related organisations.

And a third thought. We need more Forum members to volunteer to maintain any given membership list, and post the changed URLs, DBF files, to the Forum, for others to download.

If you want other membership lists, just ask on the Forum.

Peter VK4IU
NP3K
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2014 8:49:43 AM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

Need your advice again regarding the cwops membership for Logic 8. I went to the web site and copied the new list and pasted it to Excel as a .csv file using the format your gave me. This is the process that I'm using and saving the excel to my desktop as cwops#.csv

Tools, Advanced, Database Commands

use MEMBERSHIPS
append from C:\Users\hamradio\desktop\cwops#.csv delimited with ","

Question is when I do the import does it has to be a .DBF file when it's looking for it? If so how do I convert it ?

Thanks again,
Charlie NP3K
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 4:42:16 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi Charlie,

The moment you do the "append", LOGic will load the data into the MEMBERSHIP table. You do NOT have to import any DBF files.

After you "append" the CSV, go to the MEMBERSHIP table (Tools, Setup, Membership lists, and check your work. If it is not what you wanted/expected, delete the CWOPS# list and try again.

When the CWOPS# membership is correct, use the button on the MEMBERSHIPS table dialogue to EXPORT the CWOPS# membership list - it will be saved to your hard disk as a DBF file.

Now you can add a post to the forum, appending the DBF file to your post. Others can take advantage of your efforts.

Peter VK4IU
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
NP3K on 6/2/2014(UTC)
NP3K
#8 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 6:08:30 PM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

I did the append several times and then looked up a few new cwops members in Logic; it would find some and not others. I did a search in the Excel file and they all show, I went ahead and did another append to Logic, I searched and still doesn't see all. I will do another copy and paste from the original CWops list and try it again; once I have it and will surely post it here for others to use. Actually this is fun and a learning curve. Cool Thanks again for your help and I will keep you updated.

Charlie
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 8:47:53 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Charlie,

It is fantastic you are having a go.

A backup copy of the Membership database is a good thing to be doing. It takes a little while to gain experience.

Briefly explain how you did the work in EXCEL to produce the CSV file.

Do a re-index with Tools, Database Maintenance. Look through the CWOPS# membership list to see if there are any "strange values" for the call signs.

Attach the CSV file and I will have a look - as time permits.

I do it like this ...

Select the table in the web page.
Paste the table into Excel.
Arrange the data columns to the required order for the LOGic table.
Delete any rows not relevant.
Select all the columns with the data.
Copy and "paste values" into a clean sheet
Save the sheet as a CSV file.

Peter VK4IU