logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VK0JJJ is showing up as VK0-M when it should be CE9
W7OO
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 12:05:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

Could you make the change from the subject to the permanent prefix table? You can look at QRZ for confirmation.

Thanks,

Bill
W7OO
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 5:40:47 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

Dennis: My Prefix table user record for VK0JJJ is attached.

I used "copy to "VK0JJJ" for prefixes="VK0JJJ" delimited with TAB"

I hope it saves you some time.

File Attachment(s):
VK0JJJ.TXT (1kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/19/2013(UTC)
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 8:02:04 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

The more one works with Prefixes and DXCC the more one realises how little one actually knows about it.

In the context of Antarctica, and my project to have the DX news chase me when "alerted" rather than me thumbing through paper and files, how does CONT work for something like VK0JJJ - and other calls from Antarctica.

I notice for example, that CONT=AN is in my Lists for CONT, but there is no AN in the list of continents when entering data into the Prefix table.

Looking at the entries for CE9 in the Prefix table, CONT seems to reflect the continent of the call - NOT Antarctica, AN. I have worked R1ANC on Vostok Station and the QSO shows Antarctica, but the Prefix table says - Asia. Clearly I update something there.

Which is correct?

Can anybody shed light on this area, or perhaps direct me to a place where I can find an explanation of the issues.
Peter VK4IU
W7OO
#4 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 10:35:36 PM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

Antarctica is a strange place as far as ham radio calls go.

No one country "owns" Antarctica. Therefore when someone operates from there they use a prefix from their own country's call block.

It is impossible to determine from the call that the station is in Antarctica.

With all that said I determine the location by either looking at QRZ or the various DX newsletters that I subscribe to. "The Daily DX (TM)" is by far the best of the English language newsletters that I have found. You get a daily email. It is very rare that a station of significance shows up on the air that has not been announced ahead of time in "The Daily DX (TM)".

One last thought some of the islands near Antarctica that do belong to some country and do have an assigned prefix also seem to have this problem with calls. South Shetland (VP8-H) is a good example of this with RI1ANU and RI1ANF being the recent examples.

Thanks for making me think about this................

Bill
W7OO

vk4iu
#5 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 11:41:52 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Thanks for that Bill. While your thinking ...

Where do the prefixes with the -X fit in - VP8-H for example. What is the -H? ... as compared to VP8?H.

Am I correct in the thinking that, properly allocated, when I see VP8?H, it is Falklands Is and for DXCC it is VP8.

I am puzzled by entries like that for VK0-H Heard Island.

"VK0HI,VK0XH,VK0KH,VK0-H,VK0NH,VK0ZH"

I understand why VK0HI is in the list, it doesn't fit the pattern.

But, if VK0-H in the list, why is VK0(X|K|N|Z)H in the list?

Maybe I am wrong in my assumption as to the model for VP8-H etc. The Logic Help does not give an answer.

I guess if I am going to successfully make "user entries" I had better know how to do t correctly.
Peter VK4IU
W7OO
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:12:47 AM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

VP8-H is Dennis's way in the prefix table of calling out VP8H calls for the Falklands and many other prefixes.

Here is what Dennis has defined in the Prefix table for VK0-H "VK0HI,VK0XH,VK0KH,VK0-H,VK0NH,VK0ZH". I suspect that those calls were on Heard at some point in time and Dennis added them to the prefix table.

I think it is important here to remember that the guy issuing licenses in some of these countries is NOT a ham and does not understand the prefix issue. Goofy calls get allocated as a result. The operators are so happy about getting a license to operate that they do not want to jeopardize their license by complaining. Also over time the prefixes of lots of the out-of-the-way places have changed. The French issued calls are a great example of this.

I have never tried to apply logic to determining where a call is located. I just let LOGic look it up and go with the flow!

Bill
W7OO
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:53:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Thanks Bill and Peter. Peter, I put your entry in my master table, and removed the USER flag.

I don't put AN as a continent because it is not part of the WAC award. I can't recall how all the CE9 entries got CONTintents. There is no option to select no continent -- maybe we need that.

DH