logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TX5RV addition to prefix table
W7OO
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:53:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

Will you add to the prefix table so TX5RV comes up as Austral Islands with future updates? If you look at QRZ it says they are on one of the Austral Islands.

Thanks,

Bill
W7OO
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:55:19 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Bill,

I am sure Dennis will add it to a future update of the Prefix table.

For now you can add it to the entry for Austral Islands - FO-A.

Just tag it on the end of the prefix list for FO-A - Austral Is.

That worked for me. The Info panel now shows the correct data instead of FY - French Guiana.

DXCC and prefixes are like Standards - so many to choose from!

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
W7OO
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:26:15 AM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

I do exactly what you suggest. The reason I post these for Dennis is that I want him to add them to the permanent Prefix data base. If they are not added to the permanent data base then when an update comes along I either loose all of the additions I have made or if I choose not to overwrite the data then I don't get to take advantage of the additions that Dennis has made.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Bill
W7OO
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:52:44 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi Bill,

No worries Bill. I note that for topics on the forum, many replies are VIEWED by hundreds, but replies are numbered in ONEs.

After all this time, I still get a kick from using Logic, and finding new techniques wth Logic and my DXing - the experience keeps me young at heart.

As luck would have it, I made my change to the prefix table, and posted the reply, just before I updated to ver 59 - the first with the ablility to make USER entries in the Prefix Table. I have been away for several months.

I note the "flag" on the table record seems to be for the whole record - as compared to a change to the prefix list for an existing record.

So, after I posted the reply yesterday, I did some testing.

I searched for the FO-A record - with the "binoculars".

I removed my original update of TX5RV from the Prefix list for FO-A - Austral Is, and saved the record.

I then pressed CTRL-D to duplicate the record.

On the new duplicate record I completely REPLACED the list of prefixes with TX5RV, and flagged the record as a "User-Supplied entry".

... and saved the changes.

Lookup for TX5RV, worked just like before, TX5RV returns FO-A, not French Guiana.

According to the notes Dennis supplied with ver 59, my record will not be over written on a system update that includes a Prefix Table update, and the search mechanism gives preference to the "system" record if one is ever supplied that dupicates the data in my record.

This is a good solution to the problem of Prefix Table updates. I make so few changes to the Prefix Table that the new search algorithm has no material affect on the speed of searches.

And, best of all, I no longer have to worry about being "in sync" with changes Dennis might make, or NOT make, to the master copy in an update to Logic I apply.

If you use the above technique, you will never again lose a change you make to the Prefix Table.

Have fun.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
W7OO
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:39:30 PM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

Wow, that is a great suggestion.

I will start doing that as well. Thank you very much.

I seem to make additions to the prefix table frequently (about monthly -- lots of new prefixes out there when conditions are great). If you look back at the posts in the Prefix part of the forum most of the recent ones are from me!

I also continue to fall in love with Logic. I find new things and ways of accomplishing things all the time. Dennis has an incredibly great piece of software. The forum has also been a good source of new ideas (just like the one you gave me).

Thanks,

Bill
W7OO
vk4iu
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:08:47 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi again Bill,

Yes. I usually follow along after your posts. The experience many of you bring to DXCC and Prefix changes and working DX, exceeds my meagure DX experience by a very long measure.

I need help with my memory, so I also tested the filter on the Prefix Table - show me all User-supplied entries - works a treat.

A question for you. This seems reasonable, but is it?

Take TX5RV - a DX perition to Austral Is.

I use VE3NEA's great DX Bulletin Reader and consolidator. If I search it for TX5RV, I find the 425 Calendar, Daily DX etc, says the DX pedition is current from 30/10 - 6/11 2013.

Is it sensible to be entering those dates as the start and end dates in the Prefix Table user entry for TX5RV?

I guess if the activity is extended by a day, one can update the Prefix Table appropriately.

What do you think? What are the side effects of doing that?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
W7OO
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:52:22 PM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

I don't enter start and stop dates. Some of those calls get a renewed license for a future visit. I have not yet seen the problem where a given call is in one country and later on counts for another. I'm sure it has happened but so far it has not caused a problem for me. All this boils down to what you are suggesting sure is possible. If you want to insure you are always correct your suggestion is the way to go.

Bill
W7OO
W7OO
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:55:36 PM(UTC)

Peter,

I tried your process for adding a personal entry in the Prefix database. I did it for W8A and N8A. Worked perfectly. Great ides.

Are you sure that when Dennis sends out a new version that the whole file isn't overwritten thereby erasing my personal entry?

Once Dennis adds W8A and N8A to the prefix table under the normal KH8, if my personal entry survives, there will be two entries for the call W8A. Will that work?????

Thanks for your thoughts.

I really enjoy the suggestions you make.

Bill
W7OO
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:47:24 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

I am only repeating Dennis's words.

I originally thought the system would override the user entry, but on re-reading Dennis's post - the user record is given preference.

Make sure you mark the record as a "user record".

Also, take note of this post with regard to calls shorter than the "full length".

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 9:48:56 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
I added TX5RV to the master list, thanks guys! I added the user-defined records feature by popular demand, but I still want to know about any updates. Thanks again.

It should technically be TX5RV_ so that say TX5RVA doesn't use this record, but in reality it is unlikely that this will ever happen. I didn't screw with dates either. My guess is that it is less likely to get used elsewhere than to be used again for the Astrals.

Thanks,

Dennis