logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Format for alerts
KA1J
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:28:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

While I'd still like a pop-up window to come on top and tell me there is an alert I need, I at least need to configure the alerts properly to tell me on email. I only use headphones with the computer and radio and if I'm on the air with the radio headphones on I'll never hear a voice alert from the computer as they are two separate headphones & not connected in a pigtail.

What I am looking to be notified about are the unworked DXCC entities I need on CW. For instance, A5 working CW was on earlier today and it is an ATNO, EP was as well but it was DATA. Still, sometimes what shows as DATA actually is CW but in what logic was told is the DATA section of the band. So how do I set the Spot Alert Setup to send me an email when a needed (red) value comes up in the "value" column as on & working CW & DATA?

I don't need to know what ones are available for band fillers, just the ATNO that I need.

Thanks!

Gary
KA1J
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:08:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Gary:

Ok, is your first question why is CW stuff showing up as data? Do you have any band table segments set up with some mode other than SSB, USB, LSB, or CW?

Turn on EMAIL NEEDED SPOTS and it will email you when any needed spot is detected. If you don't care about band or mode, set the band table up to not spot needed bands or modes.

You can also email alerts and not spots of course.

FYI I added a visual indicator to the Alerts tab that gets turned on whenever you receive a new alert. It will be in the next update.

Let me know if any questions. Tnx for using LOGic.

Dennis WN4AZY
KA1J
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:06:41 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I have separated the band table a bit more than was in default. I don't remember where the dividing lines were before but an example is on 20M where I have
14.000200-14.049990 = CW
14.050000-14.149000 = RTTY
14.150100-14.349000 = USB

Now the spot log is showing
Z81B is on 14.1750 and it shows as PHONE
S54A is on 14.0810 and it shows as DATA
7X4AN is on 14.0075 and it shows as CW

It's because people don't always follow the band plans that sometimes needed CW is found in the data sub-bands. I find needed contacts in-between data transmissions every so often. It's always good to see if a needed contact showing in the spot log is perhaps CW instead of DATA. That said, I haven't found any needed CW stations in the PHONE sub-bands except during contests.

I did enable the email, sent a test email and that is working. I don't though know how to set the parameters to notify me of any needed value that is red in value. For instance, I need A5 & P5 & 28 others. I'm not sure how to set it up so every time one of these gets spotted that I'm alerted. Do I need to list every needed DXCC country in the value column in the alerts screen in the spot log?

If I were to work a needed country on SSB, I'd still want to know if it is on as CW. CW is the only mode I submit for DXCC. Once I have a country confirmed on CW I don't need an alert when its on.

Thanks!

Gary
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 9:54:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Yeah, it is going to be difficult to detect RTTY using frequency segments. CW is frequently mixed in there. The common practice is to post RTTY spots with RTTY or RYRY in the comment area, which LOGic will properly detect.

I wonder if we could get a move afoot to start sending spots with a little more formal structure using ADIF or XML? This all started back when everyone was using dumb terminals so it had to be easy to type. Nowdays, nobody manually types spots, but we are stuck with that old format.

DH
KA1J
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 5:30:36 PM(UTC)

Darn! I had a fairly well thought out reply made and I accidently deleted it... In short; I wonder if that extra data could be sent along with the data needed to serve the older system. When the word got out that the extra & more informative data was being ignored by their software, the people would clamor for it and it would force an improvement in quality of info.

I think that would be what it takes. Of course the extra data would have to not choke the old platform or the entirety of the data be ignored by the spotting software. not being a programmer I don't know what is involved except if it makes sense then it can be done if there's a strong enough reason & push to do it.

Thanks again Dennis,

Gary