logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10.0.16 install issues
W5GA
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 7:08:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Dennis, when installing this, the issues started with an "unable to find license file" error. I ended up having to completely blow away logic, including deleting the directory to get a fresh install accomplished. Got that done, got it updated and all appeared to be working last night. I shut the computer down overnight due to storms in the area. Start it up this morning, and I get repeated "file access is denied c:\program files (x86)\logic\somenotrepeatingfilenumber.tmp". I get the same error trying to do a clean. Looks like I'm back to where I was yesterday. Ideas?

73 Doug W5GA
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 2:30:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Strange--Did you try rebooting?

You can see if the license file is there or not. It is c:\program files(x86)\logic\logic.license. It is a text file so you can see the date on it.

Another possibility is that two copies of LOGic are running at the same time. However, that should not be a problem.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W5GA
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 3:18:47 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Strange--Did you try rebooting?

I've done better than that, I've uninstalled Logic including deleting the directory...twice. Reinstalled using the latest license file download which I saved when I got the email from Fe in January. So the license file issue is gone, but it's still gagging on *.tmp files on startup. The process I'm using is: Uninstall, delete directory, reinstall, install latest update, copy the backed up logdata directory into the new install.

Doug
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 4:05:53 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
It looks like a permissions issue.

See if there is a TMP folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic I deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic\TMP folder trying to recreate the error. LOGic just created a new one for me. I changed the permissions for ADMIN users for the TMP folder to deny write, and LOGic still ran without error. I discovered it is now putting the temporary files in C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp You can find this location on your machine by going to a DOS Command prompt and typing echo %temp%

So something to try. Edit config.fpw C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic. Remove these lines:

progwork=TMP
editwork=TMP
sortwork=TMP

This will make LOGic write to the Windows temporary folder shown by echo %temp%

Make sure that you are logged in as an admin user. It SHOULDN'T matter. LOGic automatically runs with ADMIN privileges, but something to try in case I don't know as much about it as I think I do.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

PS -- although it would be admittedly a hell of a coincidence for this to happen at the same time as you installed .16, I don't think .16 is the issue. Maybe try backgrading to .15 to see what we learn.
W5GA
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 6:05:17 PM(UTC)

I agree, this does appear to be a permission issue. I think I whupped it with a different login.

Thanks, Dennis!!

Doug
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 5/10/2023(UTC)