logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logic 9 Import Problems
W7OO
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:40:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello Dennis,

I am still having trouble importing to LOGic 9 from a tab delimited file. The import goes just fine but the data does not appear in the correct fields in LOGic 9.

I have attached the file that I am importing to this message.

My goal is to have the DXCC reports show the countries that I have worked and the packet clusters show the correct countries that I need as new spots are received.

Can you give me exact instructions on how to import the attached file and get the data to go to the correct field?

I might add that I have worked countries by using two different calls. My original call was K7RIE and my current call is W7OO.

I should also add that there are a few QSOs on both 144 and 430 MHz that are NOT satellite QSOs. All satellite QSOs have the satellite identified and the mode it was in.

Here is a list of the fields in the attached file and what they contain:

My Call - The call I was using when the station was worked
Call - The station I worked
Date - The date of the QSO in m/dd/yyyy format
Time - UTC time
Mode - CW SSB
Band - Frequency in two formats xx MHz and the other xx.xxx.xx MHz
Sent - RST Sent
Rcvd - RST Received
Power - TX power (this could be skipped if necessary)
Name - Handle
City - City
State - State
Country - Country spelled out in full
Remarks - Comments
QSL Sent - Y or N or blank
QSL Rcvd - Y or N or blank
QSL Date - Usually the date the QSL was received but can be the date it was sent. This field can be skipped
Satellite - The AMSAT designation for the satellite if it was a satellite QSO.
Mode - The mode the satellite was in for satellite QSOs

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
File Attachment(s):
W7OO-Logs.txt (1,755kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:30:09 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Ok, most of your column headers are wrong. You must use the column headers mentioned in Help. The is some flexibility, but for example LOGic expects OPERATOR or OP, not MY CALL.

The QSL DATE RCVD column had dates in it, but also B in some records, apparently meaning "bureau", so I put that field in VIA.

I put the SATNAME and SAT MODE columns in the associated user-defined fields.

The only remaining problem I see is that the FREQ field sometimes has just say 14 indicating 20 meters, and sometimes has the actual frequency. The good news is that it handled the band OK, but your log has some technically invalid frequencies. This can be fixed after import by going to tools/advanced/database commands.

Type

USE LOG
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=3.5
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=7
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=14
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=145

etc etc.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
File Attachment(s):
W7OO-Logs2.txt (1,755kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
W7OO
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:23:21 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

You set me on the path to getting my old logs imported successfully.

I am still having a problem with the frequency. First, I imported to the "freq" field rather than the "band" field. As your reply indicated there are problems in my data. For me it will be much easier to fix it in Excel than it will be to master the database editing commands.

Can you tell me what LOGic expects to see for "freq"? What I'm asking are what are valid entries and what are invalid entries. You will recall I have entries like the following 14, 14.020.10, 435, and 3.5 . LOGic did not import anything when the frequency was in the format of 14.020.10 . That worries me a little since that is the format my 781 exports the data in when it is being controlled by the logging software. I'll worry about that problem when I interface the computer to the rig.

Am I also correct in thinking that LOGic uses the freq in determining your status for awards?

Just in case I get forced into using the database editing commands I have one problem. I had no trouble entering the commands as you suggested.

USE LOG
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=3.5

But then LOGic wants me to select a data base to open. I have no idea what to choose.

I also imported Satellite names to "satname" and the satellite mode to "sat_mode". I notice on the main log entry screen that those two fields do not appear. Is there a solution to that?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Bill
W7OO
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:06:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
LOGic expects the freq in Mhz. 14.020.10 isn't valid -- it isn't a valid numeric value in anyone's world. It would have to be 14.0201 or 14.02010. (it might take Khz too, not sure). Your rig may have 14.020.10 on the display or that may be how some other programs display it, but this isn't what is going on internally or what would be logged if your rig were interfaced to LOGic. So fix these by hand with the spreadsheet. I', not very good with spreadsheets, but perhaps there is some way to search for fields containing two periods.

For fixing the other stuff, you aren't going to get much easier than what I suggested. Be sure to press {Enter} key after each command.

USE LOG{enter}
REPLACE FREQ WITH 0 FOR FREQ=3.5{enter}

You can easily put the user-defined fields on the log form. Click the black-and-white waiterman button to associate user-defined fields. Normally only five user-defined fields are displayed. So if there are two others you aren't using.... If you need more, you can add them. Consult Help, and let me know if ????s.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY