logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CQ WW DX Contest
K7PDW
#1 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2020 2:47:09 PM(UTC)
DAVE

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I plan on running in the True Blue DX Club Ultra Marathon (https://www.tbdxc.net/marathon) which uses CQ WW DX rules but runs for all of 2021.

I have a few of questions concerning LOGic's contest mode.

1 - I understand that if I set the contest dates from 01-01-2021 to 12-31-2021 LOGic will not choke. Is this correct?

2 - Does LOGic calculate the points for CQ WW DX or does one to upload the "raw" data to CQ for points calculation. CQ does provide that service if one needs it.

3 - Will LOGic calculate points during a contest or does a contest have to be over before LOGic will calculate points?

I can use another contest logging program if necessary but I'd prefer to use LOGic for this contest. I don't expect anyone to spend time researching this, but I'd like to know if you think running LOGic 9 this way may be a problem.

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K8ZM
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2020 1:59:37 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Dave,

Merry Christmas !!

I've actively contested with LOGic for years in ARRL DX, VHF, SS, CQ WW, CQ WPX, etc., etc.. Not an N1MM but works fine, some prefer to use a contest logger and import into LOGic at the end of the contest, I personally don't like that approach plus I have customized/automated LOGic to where it does everything but wash the dishes at the end of the day so anything imported from another logger is just a lot of inevitable and unnecessary futzing/tweaking of hundreds of QSO's. I'm not a big gun contester, regardless, LOGic isn't the reason I'm not in the top ten....hihi !! Anyways, my comments;

1) Correct, LOGic will NOT choke.
2) LOGic shows QSO and Multiplier counts and calculates the score, all displayed in a mini window.
3) All in real time during the contest.

Important to know if the Marathon, 1) allows/includes QSO's from CQWW, and 2) would you be working CQWW AND also making non-contest Marathon QSO's during CQWW.

The CQWW Contest Logform could work and would score based on those rules, LOGic uses a Contest ID (name) and start date (and end date in certain circumstances) to "separate" and score contests. Dennis I'm sure will chime in and may have another solution but if answers above are No/No or Yes/No then seems to me should work fine, if Yes/Yes then hmmmmm, may need to think on that or for sure Dennis to chime in !!

73 de Brad, N8GLS
2 users thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 12/26/2020(UTC), K7PDW on 1/5/2021(UTC)
W5GA
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 9:17:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I have also use Logic in contests. All works peachy, right to the point that the database needs reindexing or something similar, and you have to go through a clean cycle in the middle of a JA run in CQWW. All logging programs have their strengths...contesting is not one of Logics.

73 Doug W5GA
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
K7PDW on 1/5/2021(UTC)
K8ZM
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 12:00:32 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Doug,

Do you recall the circumstances behind the reindex/clean ?? I'm curious as I had only a couple instances of LOGic closing during a contest run in over 5 years but those ended up a PC intermittent USB issue with losing comm's to the rigs. I run in all the majors and LOGic runs the entire contest period without a glitch. I run unassisted so don't need bells and whistles just a solid logger that can score the test, LOGic has been extremely stable doing so for me and I highly recommend it for those that don't want to mess with another program and/or the need to import back into LOGic afterwards. Having said that....too each his own....or her own as the case may be (hihi).

Happy New Year and be safe !!!

73 de Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
K7PDW on 1/5/2021(UTC)
W5GA
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 7:52:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Brad, other than it was in the middle of either CQWW or ARRLDX, no, I don't remember any specifics...too many years ago. IIRC, I've had it happen in both.

73 Doug W5GA
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
K7PDW on 1/5/2021(UTC)